Even with guys like Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving on the table, LeBron James is still taking over headlines in this 2022 offseason.
With one year left on his deal, fans and experts around the league have wondered what his next move might be. While talks are being described as progressive, James might not commit to anything longer than one year. Here’s why:
James has until June 30 to sign the extension before becoming an unrestricted free agent.
It is possible James could seek a one-year extension, worth $47 million for the 2023-24 season, with an additional year with a player option for 2024-25.
The optionality could be intentional. His eldest son, Bronny, is entering his senior year of high school, making him NBA eligible in 2024. James has repeatedly stated his desire to team up with his son on an NBA roster before he retires.
LeBron has made it known several times that he desires to share the court with his son. Fortunately, Bronny is only two years away from becoming a pro. Now, some are even talking about the possibility of Bron playing with both of his sons in the NBA.
“LeBron is putting all of his eggs in Bronny’s basket,” said Shannon Sharpe on LeBron maybe playing pro basketball with his kids one day. “I’m gonna say yes to Bronny, I’m gonna say no to Bryce. I’ma say there’s 10% chance that he hangs around long enough to play with Bryce. I’m a say there’s 90% chance that he plays with Bronny.”
It’s still a long way off for now, but the scenario is front and center in LeBron’s mind, and it will no doubt influence his moves from here on out.
Either way, just don’t expect to see a long-term extension for the King. Contract flexibility is valuable at this stage of his career.